To Read or Not to Read
These days, all games come with a small little manual that briefly describes the backstory, the general maneuvrability commands (jump, crouch etc.) and depending on the game type, a list of the in-game enemies and relative artefacts. Thinking that since I had seen the game being played in its entirety, I decided to forego the reading lesson and entered the game world cold.
Since most of my video game experience has been in PC gaming (aside from tetris, mario and eye-toy), the controls were quite awkward. It made me think about how people (designers included) talk about 'intuitive controls', and I must say, the controls are only intuitive for those who are familiar with the industry standards. So after mashing the buttons around for a while, I manage to walk around the airship - although Yuna looks a little drunk with abrupt stops, bumping into walls and knocking into things while I got a handle on the controls.
After bumbling around for at least an hour, I guess I will take a look at the manual, and see if it helps.
Since most of my video game experience has been in PC gaming (aside from tetris, mario and eye-toy), the controls were quite awkward. It made me think about how people (designers included) talk about 'intuitive controls', and I must say, the controls are only intuitive for those who are familiar with the industry standards. So after mashing the buttons around for a while, I manage to walk around the airship - although Yuna looks a little drunk with abrupt stops, bumping into walls and knocking into things while I got a handle on the controls.
After bumbling around for at least an hour, I guess I will take a look at the manual, and see if it helps.


<< Home