Game Over ...
As I sit here, contemplating how to wrap up and present this project, several questions come to mind. What has the last six weeks of playing and writing meant to me? To the process of learning to play a video game? Why use a blog?
First of all, the process of reflexive play is a difficult challenge with immersive play and distractions both in and out of the game world. The use of the blog as a space to write my thoughts, ideas and eurekas after my play sessions has been an efficient way to keep track of and annotate those ideas with links, saving me the sometimes arduous task of writing paragraphs of contextualizations and definitions. I cannot say that blogging has helped my actual ability to play the game, but it has definitely helped me to sit and ponder, write and re-read my thoughts.
Although it was difficult not to go off on complete tangents and dark paths of irrelevant inquiry, blogging has allowed me to sporadically articulate several ideas that stemmed from my first project presented to my classmates via powerpoint. Building on the idea of identification as a primary learning tool within game space, I have been able to explore other aspects of learning to play such as official game guides, websites, comments and criticisms; play perspectives, graphics as well as reflecting on the question of immersion and intuitive design, among a few other related ramblings.
When I had first thought of this project, the idea of a blog seemed appropriate since I was already blogging over at Digital Conversations, but as I have been thinking about how to hand it in as an actual project, I faced a few challenges. Do I provide a table of contents or a list of posts? Do I print off a copy and hand in it in physically?
But as I worked through these questions (through a conversation with a friend) I noticed that a few inherent elements of blogging made it clear that this was fitting medium for this project, and no other alterations were necessary. While a defining element of a blog is the reverse chronology of the posts, the fact that the content is not ordered in a traditionally front to back print fashion, made reading this space somewhat of a game in itself. The learning process of navigating the space for the reader mirrors, in some ways, my learning curve within Final Fantasy X2.
Also, with the ability to randomly select any post written at any time within the six weeks archive, the reader is able to construct their own understanding of this project - in essence, playing with the text. Although there is an overarching common theme, there is no obligational direction any of the entries need to be read, making it an interesting experiment in hyper and (future) cyber-textuality. The only post that may seem jarring read out of turn is the first one, since it briefly contextualizes the project.
First of all, the process of reflexive play is a difficult challenge with immersive play and distractions both in and out of the game world. The use of the blog as a space to write my thoughts, ideas and eurekas after my play sessions has been an efficient way to keep track of and annotate those ideas with links, saving me the sometimes arduous task of writing paragraphs of contextualizations and definitions. I cannot say that blogging has helped my actual ability to play the game, but it has definitely helped me to sit and ponder, write and re-read my thoughts.
Although it was difficult not to go off on complete tangents and dark paths of irrelevant inquiry, blogging has allowed me to sporadically articulate several ideas that stemmed from my first project presented to my classmates via powerpoint. Building on the idea of identification as a primary learning tool within game space, I have been able to explore other aspects of learning to play such as official game guides, websites, comments and criticisms; play perspectives, graphics as well as reflecting on the question of immersion and intuitive design, among a few other related ramblings.
When I had first thought of this project, the idea of a blog seemed appropriate since I was already blogging over at Digital Conversations, but as I have been thinking about how to hand it in as an actual project, I faced a few challenges. Do I provide a table of contents or a list of posts? Do I print off a copy and hand in it in physically?
But as I worked through these questions (through a conversation with a friend) I noticed that a few inherent elements of blogging made it clear that this was fitting medium for this project, and no other alterations were necessary. While a defining element of a blog is the reverse chronology of the posts, the fact that the content is not ordered in a traditionally front to back print fashion, made reading this space somewhat of a game in itself. The learning process of navigating the space for the reader mirrors, in some ways, my learning curve within Final Fantasy X2.
Also, with the ability to randomly select any post written at any time within the six weeks archive, the reader is able to construct their own understanding of this project - in essence, playing with the text. Although there is an overarching common theme, there is no obligational direction any of the entries need to be read, making it an interesting experiment in hyper and (future) cyber-textuality. The only post that may seem jarring read out of turn is the first one, since it briefly contextualizes the project.
And so, as I hand this project in, I will open my comments feature and distribute this project to my classmates as well as the blog reading, gaming public at large.


<< Home